All students and employees of Jordan School District are instructed concerning responsible use of technology devices, the district network, and online etiquette.
In order to use district supplied technology devices and gain access to the district’s computer network each year, all students and employees of Jordan School District are required to sign an acceptable use agreement. This documents the users understanding of, and willingness to comply with, district policies as outlined therein.
Access to school and district networks and digital resources is a privilege. Any user who is found to be in violation of district technology guidelines or agreements is subject to the Jordan School District disciplinary policies. This involves an investigation process, and appropriate actions as dictated by the respective findings. For students this most often takes the form of meetings with school administrators and parents, and includes the possible loss of access to technology at the school, suspension, or other actions as prescribed by policy.
Online Student Safety
At a local school level, all teachers are provided with annual training regarding Internet safety. This is usually conducted by the school administration at the beginning of the school year.
Additionally, from a district level, all teachers have been made aware of multiple professional programs available to which they have access. All teachers are encouraged to integrate these programs into their classroom curriculum. Training on these programs is available from district level technology specialists upon request.
The most important online student safety tool for any classroom is direct adult supervision. This may take the form of direct in class monitoring through classroom circulation, or it may involve remote monitoring through the use of various software programs or monitoring tools.
- www.netsafeutah.orgOpens in a new window - a broad-scoped, commercially produced, training program for students of all ages, educators, parents, and trainers.
- www.utahpta.org/netsafetyOpens in a new window - Internet safety resources collected by the Utah PTA.
- www.utahnetsmartz.orgOpens in a new window - a commercially produced training program for students of all ages, educators, parents, and trainers.
- www.ikeepsafe.orgOpens in a new window - a commercially produced training program for students of all ages, educators, parents, and trainers.
- http://www.uen.org/core/edtech/index.shtmlOpens in a new window - State of Utah Educational Technology Standard for Students.
- http://www.iste.org/standards/ISTE-standards/standards-for-studentsOpens in a new window - ISTE Student Standards, including Digital Citizenship.
- http://www.iste.org/standards/ISTE-standards/standards-for-teachersOpens in a new window - ISTE Teacher Standards, including promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility.